These days, more and more bloggers are adopting blog commenting for SEO benefits.
Most of them even included blog commenting as their main link building strategy. A dangerous trait, for sure.
If you are commenting excessively on other blogs, only for SEO purposes, then you are not only wasting your time, but also asking Google to take action against your blog, in future.
Do not get me wrong. I also comment a lot on other blogs, constructively, and with good intention.
Pros of Blog Commenting
1. Sense of pride: When you leave a constructive comment on a blog, by adding value to the blog post, how do you feel?
Blog comments are actually mini articles or sub articles, or simply the extensions of main article. And, adding one, usually gives a Sense of Pride.
2. Publicity: When you comments on popular and high traffic blogs, lots of other commenting bloggers from your niche notice you.
They know you and about your blog. It’s just like a mini promotion of yourself and your blog.
3. Traffic: By leaving comments on busy blogs, you get new or unique visitors or traffic. They may consider subscribing your blog, after reading few blog posts.
4. Relationship: Commenting on a blog develops inter-personal relationship with the author, and sometimes with the admin.
They might consider linking your blog posts in future, as references.
Cons of Blog Commenting
1. Nil SEO value: Most of the blogging platforms or CMS have NoFollow attribute for their commenting system.
You are not going to get any link-juice from you comment backlinks.
2. Waste of time: Do you know – 20 Constructive Comments = 1 Unique and Quality Blog Post.
If you are addicted to blog commenting, then you are losing your precious time, which, you should have utilized to write a new blog post.
3. Comment Spam or Link spam: Now comes the dreaded thing !
In recent SES Sanfrancisco 2012 (day 2), Matt Cutts has categorically mentioned about the comment spam, while addressing Penguin algorithm and other SEO related queries.
The way he kicked few leading blogging networks (Spammy activities) in recent past, might consider adding comment spam as a signal in Penguin Algorithm.
Final words: Google crawls, indexes and ranks blog comments.
The keywords contributed by other bloggers or blog commenters help your blog post rank higher in search engines.
A blog without comments is like “a woman without ornaments.”